Ten Consuls were named to represent the interests of the United States in Yucatán between 1843 and 1897.
In 1897 the offices in Mérida were closed when they moved to Progreso where it stayed for 37 years. At this time the Consulate attended the reports of missing Americans, reports of contagious diseases in the area, commercial and agricultural aspects, and the work related to the American ships that arrived to Progreso and Campeche.
On February 1st, 1934, the Consulate returned to Mérida to a building near the Centenario Zoo. It then moved to another building near the Cathedral in downtown Mérida. From here it moved to the Paseo de Montejo and the corner of Avenida Colón where it was a landmark since 1956.
The new installations are larger and more modern, allowing for better attention to American, Mexican and citizens of other countries. There are now more windows to attend visa applicants, which is good news for all.
On November 6th, 2006, the United States Consulate inaugurated its new installations in San Fernando. The exact address is Calle 60 No. 338 K, one block north of the Fiesta Americana, Hyatt, Holiday Inn and Presidente Inter Continental Hotels.
Present at the ceremony were the new Consul Karen Martin, US Ambassador to Mexico Antonio O. Garza, Yucatán governor Patricio Patron Laviada, Quintana Roo governor Felix Gonzalez Canto, Mérida mayor Manuel Fuentes Alcocer, and United States Department of State Overseas Buildings Operations manager Joe Toussaint. Also present were representatives from the Yucatecan business and government communities and members of the large American community that lives in Mérida.
During the ceremony, two Marines performed the flag raising ceremony which was followed by the singing of the National Anthem by a children’s choir and the Americans present. After the ceremony all the guests moved to the back gardens of the new Consulate for the social reception.
United States Consulate Calle 60 #338 K x 31 Colonia Alcalá Martín CP 97050 Mérida, Yucatán Tel: (999) 942-57-00.