To celebrate 100 years since the creation of the art school “Escuela de Bellas Artes,” the modern art museum Museo Fernando García Ponce-MACAY joins together with the Secretaría de Educación, the Secretaría de la Cultura y las Artes, and the Instituto de Historia y Museos de Yucatán, to show a collective exhibition: “El Ateneo Peninsular y la Escuela de Bellas Artes de Yucatán 1916-1940.”
The exhibition centers on the role that the school played in artistic education and historical context. To this end, they selected 150 works of artists who taught and/or studied there between 1916 and 1940, including Antonio Jané, Ariosto Evia, Ignacio Rubio Milán, José Dolores Aguilar, Francisco “Pancho” Vázquez, Miguel Rodríguez, Armando García Franchi, Raúl Gamboa Cantón, Aida Farah (the only woman in the exhibit), Fernando Castro Pacheco, Aristeo Vázquez, Raúl Maldonado Cetina and Emilio Vera, among others.
The selected works demonstrate the school’s orientation to the working world, because in addition to creating paintings, engravings, and sculptures, the first students worked in the graphic arts, advertising, stage set design, or in sign making; some of these works will also be on display, as fundamental to the way Bellas Artes worked in its earliest decades, recognizing the human and physical landscape of Yucatán as well as the prevalence of the Maya culture. Such was the contribution of the art community and the value the Escuela de Bellas Artes had during the era of the governor of Yucatán, General Salvador Alvarado.
For the Fundación Cultural MACAY to be a part of this historical exhibition has a double importance and significance. On the one hand, to be the setting for this great exhibition is an honor for MACAY, to receive the works of Yucatecan artists who built the artistic panorama of this region; on the other hand, as the title of the exhibit implies, there is a historical link to the building, because under the governance of Salvador Alvarado the Ateneo was founded (in 1915) and the Escuela de Bellas Artes (in 1916).
Besides painting, sculpture, and engraving, the exhibit displays newspaper articles, videos, photographs, caricatures, and books, whose covers were designed by these first students and teachers, offering a wide panorama of the educational and cultural transformations of the time.
The exhibit is on display until July 31. Free entry.
Calle 60 x 61 y 63, Centro
10 am – 6 pm
Closed on Tuesdays
Esta entrada también está disponible en: ES