1. May is well known for being the hottest month in Yucatán. So what better time to go take a swim in the cenotes? Go to one (or more!) of the natural pools near Tecoh.
2. A trip to the beach is also a must for this month. Spend the morning splashing in the waters of Sisal, then explore the streets to get to know more about the town’s history and see its street art. Get all of Violeta’s tips on page 7.
3. Mayapán is a magnificent archaeological site with close to 4,000 structures. Also, it’s only 45 minutes away from Mérida and usually has very few visitors. This month, go and see it if you haven’t already.
4. So many exotic fruits are in season during May and June. You will see lots of local plum, “pitahaya,” “mamey,” mango, and “huaya” for sale during these months. Try them all!
5. On the night of June 3, Valladolid celebrates the “Primera Chispa de la Revolución” with a theatrical representation of the workers’ uprising of 1910, which is said to have sparked the Mexican Revolution. Don’t miss it!
6. You can see our state’s most iconic trees in bloom this month: The “flamboyán,” “lluvia de oro,” and of course the “flor de mayo” (plumeria). Don’t forget to bring your camera so that you can take a picture of these beautiful trees and the streets which turn into multicolor flower carpets.
7. Visit 100% México at Hotel Casa San Angel and take home a one-of-a-kind souvenir that was handmade by our country’s talented artisans.
8. If you want to escape the heat like a local, go to El Cardenal or El Dzalbay one afternoon to enjoy a cold beer and Yucatecan bar food which is served up at traditional cantinas. Stick around and to listen to music until the sun goes down.
9. Visit Hacienda Xcanatún to enjoy an exquisite meal in an elegant setting. From the moment you walk in, you will notice its pristine gardens which are full of plants native to the Mexican Southeast.
10 June 13 is the feast day of Saint Anthony of Padua. Chemax, Tinum, and Tekit celebrate their patron saint with fireworks, masses, processions, and traditional parties. A unique experience!
Esta entrada también está disponible en: ES