- Reduce your carbon footprint and get closer than ever to the wildlife and nature of Yucatán by camping. Pitch a tent in one of our favorite camping spots, like San Crisanto, Río Lagartos, or Celestún (complete list on our website).
- The traditional dish “papadzules,” combines ground pumpkin seeds, “epazote” herb, tomato, and hard-boiled egg into a dish that’s 100% Yucateco.
- Catch the hyper-realistic, larger-than-life street art by local graffiti artist, Datoer. Find his art in Mérida, Progreso, Motul, Chicxulub, and all across the peninsula.
- From July 27 – August 5, do NOT miss the Tunich artisan fair in Dzityá, just outside of Mérida. Needless to say, this is our favorite shopping event of the year!
- Look up for flamingos in flight all along the Yucatecan coast. The flamingos travel across the peninsula for feeding, and you’ll see them above around sunrise and sunset.
- Threatened by deforestation and human hunting, the elegant jaguar is vulnerable, but surviving in the Yucatán Peninsula. Support conservation though Pronatura, an organization dedicated to researching and conserving the local ecosystem.
- Tour Hacienda Uxmal in a vintage Land Rover with Mayaland Adventures. Explore the abandoned living quarters of the archaeologists who led the first excavations at the epic archaeological site.
- Eat and drink all things coconut, beachside, in Telchac Puerto and San Crisanto. Try everything from fresh, cold coconut water to coconut pie, flan, and cake.
- Step into the sparkling, gold colonial city of Izamal, where every corner is an opportunity for a photo shoot. Explore the monastery, which was built on top of an ancient pyramid.
- Parade along Yucatán’s hippest, most fashionable street: Calzada de los Frailes in Valladolid. Slip in and out of colonial buildings filled with high fashion stores and flirty cafés, while imagining the street’s splendor over the course of the last century.
Other Top 10:
- Top 10 Yucatán This Month: June 2018
- Top 10 Yucatán This Month: May 2018
- Top 10 Yucatán This Month: April 2018
- Top 10 Yucatán This Month: March 2018
Esta entrada también está disponible en: ES
Write a comment