I was born in Mérida and grew up bilingual and bicultural in a Yucateco/Canadian family. Because my parents both worked in tourism, I grew up climbing the pyramids at Chichén Itzá with my dad and exploring the Centro Histórico with my mom, fostering my love for the state I call home.
The best part about growing up “Yucanadian” was eating Frijol con Puerco and Mac and Cheese, celebrating Hanal Pixan and Halloween, and of course, developing my interest in different languages and cultures which is how I became a translator and writer.
I’m currently Editor at Yucatán Today and contribute regularly with articles about my own experience of growing up in Yucatán, as well as our local destinations, foods, and traditions.
Get to know Maggie’s style of writing through her editorials:
- Rosas & Xocolate: Past, Present, and Future
- Passion for Mexican Flavors
- Five Restaurants for Traditional Pibil Food
- Pocket Concerts
- Antique Luxury: Hotel Mansión Mérida
- Day Trip to Oxkutzcab, Yucatán’s Orchard
- Day Trip Perfection: History, Culture, and Cenotes
- Súper Akí: A Yucatecan Company Spearheading Plastic Reduction
- Bring Your Own Hammock, It’s Beach Season!
- Izamal, Three Cultures Living in Harmony
- Plan the Event of a Lifetime with Bakú Events
- Land of Horchata and Beer, Yaxkukul
- Pan Dulce Afternoons, Rainy Season in Yucatán
- Practical Care for your Yucatecan Plants
- Checking out the Small Towns of the Ruta de los Conventos
- Popular Yucatecan Beliefs, my Chichí’s Advice to Good Health
- Mérida: Foodie Destination
- Take It With You: Yucatecan Food Staples
- Discover the Maya Gods
- Coqui Coqui: The Essence of Yucatán
- A Yucatán for All Seasons
- 100 Years of the Barbachano Family in Tourism