Ask the U.S. Consul:
Federal Benefits Unit

The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU), located at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City, provides services to Social Security, Veterans Affairs, Office of Personnel Management and Railroad beneficiaries throughout Mexico. Their office serves some 65,000 beneficiaries in Mexico, the second-largest clientele in the world (after Canada). FBU has direct access to Social Security databases, and serves as a liaison for the other U.S. government agencies mentioned above.

On December 7, 2005, FBU representatives held a Town Hall meeting with beneficiaries at the Consulate in Mérida. What appears below is a list of questions and answers of the most common concerns raised during the meeting…

Question: I have a question regarding my Social Security Benefits. How do I get in touch with the FBU Unit in Mexico City?
Answer: FBU prefers that beneficiaries contact their office via e-mail at [email protected]. Contact can also be made via fax (dialing from Mérida: 01-55-5080-2171). FBU prefers not to receive phone calls. If there is an emergency matter that cannot be handled via e-mail or fax, beneficiaries can call 01-55-5080-2706 or 5080-2852 from Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.

Question: I heard that there are hospitals being constructed in Cancún and Mérida that will accept Medicaid/Medicare. Is this true?
Answer: No. Medicaid/Medicare do not cover medical costs incurred outside of the U.S.

Question: I read in the newspaper that there is a new Medicare prescription plan. How do I find out more information and sign up?
Answer: Please visit or more information and online application.

Question: I recently moved from the U.S. to Mexico. Do I need to advise Social Security of my new address?
Answer: Yes. You must fill out a change of address form and form SSA-21 (Supplement to Claim of Person Outside the United States). Form SSA-21 and all other forms can be found on Social Security’s website at

Question: I still receive my Social Security payments by check. Is there anything I need to do?
Answer: Social Security now requires that beneficiaries receive payment via direct deposit in a U.S. or Mexican bank account. For more information and forms please contact FBU at [email protected].

Question: The FBU office at the Embassy instructed me to hand in forms at the Consulate. Do I need to make an appointment ahead of time?
Answer: Yes. Individuals requiring FBU-related assistance must call the Consulate in Mérida ahead of time in order to make an appointment. Please call 925-5011, ext. 230 or 220. The Consulate will forward completed forms to the Embassy’s FBU office free of charge. The Consulate will not send any correspondence to the U.S.

Question: I was not aware of the meeting at the Consulate. How can I find out about such events?
Answer: Please register with the Consulate! Stop by to pick up a registration form or register via the State Department’s website at

US Consulate
Calle 60, No 338K x 29 y 31
Colonia Alcala Martin
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico  97050
Tel: (999) 942 5700
Fax: (999) 942 5759
Email: [email protected]